The Federal Agency for the reception of asylum seekers (Fedasil) is a public interest organisation operational since May 2002.
Fedasil is responsible for the reception of applicants for international protection and other target groups and guarantees high-quality reception and conformity within the various reception structures. Fedasil coordinates the various voluntary return programmes.
Since June 2022, Fedasil falls under the political responsibility of Nicole de Moor, the Belgian Secretary of State of Migration and Asylum Policy.
Fedasil is responsible for the reception of applicants for international protection and other target groups and guarantees high-quality reception and conformity within the various reception structures. We prepare our residents for life after reception, we coordinate the different voluntary return programmes and we implement the commitments made as part of international programmes such as resettlement and relocation.
Our vision reflects the ambitions of Fedasil and shows the direction in which we wish to work and develop further as an organisation.
Fedasil wants to be a resilient organisation that can react quickly and smoothly, and at every level, to an increasing – or decreasing – demand of places. This requires us to constantly adapt the management of the reception network, our internal operations as well as our decision-making process.
As an organisation, we work transversely, together, with a same strategy and a common goal: to guarantee quality reception and accompaniment to our beneficiaries through the reception structures of our partners or our own reception centres. To this end, we collaborate intensively with our different partners.
In order to achieve this goal, we need committed employees, who feel comfortable in our organisation. The well-being of our staff is therefore a priority for us.
The mission of Fedasil involves a number of activities:
- We grant material aid (‘bed, bath, bread’ as well as guidance) to applicants for international protection (asylum seekers) and to other foreigners with equal right to reception.
- Together with our partners, we organise a flexible and high-quality reception, with particular attention to specific needs and vulnerable target groups.
- We guarantee a flexible, demand-driven reception network through the management of a reserve of reception places ('buffer places')
- We are responsible for the observation and orientation of unaccompanied foreign minors.
- We inform our residents about their rights and obligations and we prepare them for an independent life after the reception, in Belgium or in their country of origin.
- We come into contact and we inform, via our Reach-Out teams, migrants outside the regular reception network. Thanks to our network of partners Conex, we connect together actors of the Belgian migration sector
- We support initiatives that encourage the local integration of our reception centres.
- We support the political authorities in developing and implementing the reception policy.
- We fulfil our international role, particularly by delivering on the European commitments to resettle refugees.
- We coordinate the voluntary return programme from Belgium, which we carry out together with our return partners.
Fedasil employs more than 3,000 people. Employees are based at the reception centres across Belgium and at the head office (Brussels).
The management committee of Fedasil is attended by 4 directors with a management function (director general, director Strategy & Organisation, director of operational services, director of general services) and a director of communication (providing an advisory vote)
Composition of the direction committee
- Mrs Fanny François, Director general (a.i.) and Director Strategy & Organisation
- Mr Pieter Spinnewijn, Director operational services (a.i.)
- Vacant position, Director general services
- Mrs Mieke Candaele, Director communication (advisory vote)